Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Computer therapy

I have not been the best at blogging lately--for some very good, personal reasons. And because of these reasons, I find myself needing to mention some of the awesome things I learned about technology.

First, is that when someone goes through a loss, there are so many places to go to find support. I was able to find blogs, wikis, websites, and videos all devoted to what I was going through. It was terrific to find that there were others with the same emotions I was feeling, and it was amazingly comforting. I was able to be inspired by the words of others, without paying a copay for some awesome therapy.

Secondly, thanks to webmd.com and other reputable medical websites, I could become a well informed patient. Not only could I learn about what to expect when it came to my feelings and symptoms, I also found out about the range of things to expect following surgery and everything else. Although this doesn't sound good for all the hypochondriacs in the world, it is a nice substitute to calling up the doctor and asking a million questions in the middle of the night.

Finally, when you just can't bear to talk to someone in person, and need to convey a message, the Internet provides a way of talking to other family and friends when verbal words fail. I could tell people what was going on, from the comfort of home, and not need to take breaks because of how I was feeling.

I guess technology can function as therapy after all.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this, but I am thankful you've been able to find information and comfort. Your post is very eloquent.

Wishing you wellness...